With the daylight fast diminishing, it’s time to nourish our energy and immunity for the coming winter months. Include these top five foods on a regular basis to support your body through to Spring;
- Sun dried mushrooms: alongside oily fish and butter, sun dried mushrooms are one of the few good food sources of vitamin D. We need vitamin D for more than just bone health, it is vital for a healthy immune response, managing inflammation and to aid mood balance. Deficiency of this nutrient is widespread and difficult to correct through foods alone: the latest public health advice is for all adults to supplement with vitamin D during winter.
- Kefir, sauerkraut and natural yoghurt: naturally fermented foods support the friendly bacteria in our digestive system. These beneficial bugs regulate a large part of our immune system, so if you’re prone to colds and flu, tend to your gut bacteria!
- Sweet potatoes: orange, red and yellow vegetables are a rich source of beta-carotene, a natural compound that can convert into vitamin A. The membranes in our airways and digestive system rely on vitamin A to stay healthy and able to fight off germs. With pumpkins and butternut squash now in season, it’s a great time to make beta-carotene-boosting soup!
- Broccoli: kale, Savoy cabbage, watercress and broccoli are all high in magnesium, a key mineral for energy and mood balance. Including them regularly may help ease seasonal low mood and lethargy.
- Turmeric, ginger & lemon tea: okay, so that’s 3 foods rather than 1 but this powerful combination is brilliant for fending off sore throats and colds. Slice fresh ginger root and lemon, add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric and allow to brew in hot water. Add ¼ teaspoon of raw honey to taste!
If you would like personalised nutrition advice, we offer fantastic support at our low-cost Nutrition Clinic here at the Northern College of Acupuncture. Our Clinic runs every Monday and you will enjoy three consultations for only £20 with a Nutrition student under the supervision of a fully qualified and experienced Nutrition Practitioner.
Call today on 01904 343305 to book your first session!